Wednesday, July 27, 2011

This is really dangerous stuff

At approximately 11pm last night, I was about to go to sleep when I was awoken by Aunty Karen. She summoned me downstairs and outside the house. The cause of the commotion is something I will never forget... What follows is a harrowing tale of heroism and courage in the face of certain death.






What is this you might ask? Here are some excerpts from Wikipedia's description: "Bungarus fasciatus (or banded krait) is a species of krait found in India, Bangladesh, Southern China and Southeast Asia. It is the largest species of krait. B. fasciatus is easily identified by its alternate black and yellow bands. Though venomous, banded kraits are shy, not typically seen, and are mainly nocturnal. At night they are much more active and widely considered to be more dangerous then. B. fasciatus venom contains a neurotoxin. The venom can cause respiratory failure..."

Krait= A species of Snake



Credit should be given to Bess, who was the initial one to spot this carnivorous reptile of the suborder Serpentes. However, due to safety issues, Bess and Barney were kept inside house, while a qualified herpetologist/snake charmer/resident animal expert was brought in to deal with this animal.




Warning: What you are about to see is extremely dangerous and done with a trained professional. Do not try to attempt this. Those with heart conditions and/or are easily frightened also should not watch this video:


[click on the picture to watch the video]
So basically, this is me trying to get the snake away from the house. Using my trusty tools (stick & broom) and with Aunty Karen helping by holding the flashlight, I attempt to relocate the snake. It was coiled up under the fence next to a bunch of stuff, so I had to move everything out of the way before I could get to it. Some poking and prodding didn't quite get the job done and it eventually slithered its way across to the other side of the fence and underneath a bag of dirt (which is where the video ends). What you don't see is me using my extreme dexterity, skill, and bravery to scoop the snake into a dustpan.



Which leads us to our next photo. An up-close, full profile of the (approximately meter long) snake. If you look closely, you'll notice the dustpan and the snake almost in it. Right after this picture was taken, I flung it over the fence and away from us. [Don't worry, it wasn't harmed] It hit some tree branches, fell, and then slithered away down a storm drain, where hopefully it won't come back.



Honestly, it was a pretty intense experience. I've always joked that I wanted to see a snake up-close while I'm in Hong Kong, but this was a bit more than I imagined. After the incident, my heart was pounding and my adrenaline pumping. Pretty crazy stuff. But, two things you'll hopefully get out of this.
1) You should definitely come and visit Hong Kong now.
2) Don't let anyone tell you that you can't deal with a snake in only a pair of shoes and boxers.

No comments:

Post a Comment