It's actually been awhile since I've flown anywhere, so it was good to get back in to the "friendly skies". I actually flew over on ANA and here's the Black Curry Pork Cutlet Rice that I had. (Bonus point, if you can find the one thing on this tray that will kill me).
After arriving in Narita Airport, I quickly hurried over to the Narita Express, which took me into Tokyo.
The train ride was about an hour long, so I had plenty of time to look out the window and enjoy the sights of Japan.
Oh no, sandwitches.
Here's a group shot of all us settling down to have some dinner in Shibuya.
We went to this izakaya to try this particular dish. It's basashi, or for those who don't know Japanese, horse meat. It wasn't bad, but was a bit tough/chewy.
My friend lives in Shiba, Minato-ku, which is near Tamachi train station. You might notice the tip of my umbrella, as the weather was a bit cold and rainy while I was there.
Our sleeping arrangement. Four of us stuffed into one room, reminded me of the good ole' sleepover days.
For lunch we decided to have something simple, but very much Japanese. The restaurant had a somewhat unusual (for non-Japanese that is) way to order. In hindsight, I should've taken a picture, but just imagine a vending-machine where you put in the money, push a button, and a little receipt comes out with your order. I decided on a basic, but still tasty beef gyu-don.
For dinner we decided to eat some tempura on rice and udon. Again, quite simple yet so delicious.
My last meal in Japan. Ramen and fried rice. Yum...
Back on the Narita Express headed away from Tokyo back towards Narita. In the distance, you can see the recently opened Tokyo Sky Tree, the tallest tower in the world, and second tallest structure in the world (according to wikipedia).
After going through airport security, I stopped to take a pic of the United airplanes all lined up and sporting the new company colors/logo.
The (small and cramped) Boeing-737 that took me back to Hong Kong. This was also the first time I rode a Continental plane flying under the new United.
Fortunately, I got to sit in an exit row, which offered additional legroom. I don't know who came up with this wording, but it's a little misleading. I've flown enough to know that any economy is not premium seating.
Yay for flying
Chicken and egg with rice. I'll let you decide whether or not this is better than what ANA offered.Overall, it was great weekend (even if I didn't get much sleep). I'm really glad I got to see and hangout with some good friends. The weekend offered a welcome and much needed break from the daily grind of work, although I wish it had been for longer. Nevertheless, there were lots of good memories and fun times. Thanks Japan.
i remember trying to figure out the vending machines restaurants on my visit there, lol
ReplyDelete