Saturday, August 7, 2010

Touring around HK...again

The month of August has arrived and I can hardly believe how fast this year has gone by. Pretty soon I'll be heading home, which should be quite the experience given my long absence. But until then, I'll be kept pretty busy at my internship. I haven't had much free time during the week and therefore haven't had many opportunities to go out. But last week my friend Mike decided to pay a visit and even though he was only here for a couple days, we had a pretty good time wandering around HK. I've been in HK for 7 months now and have seen a lot of places, but it was nice to take some time and visit most of the well-known places around HK again. Here are some nice touristy pictures from that weekend.





Me and Mike with Hong Kong Island behind us. You can see two very prominent buildings in the background, the Bank of China Tower (left of my head) and the IFC (in the middle of us).


An unobstructed panoramic view of the Hong Kong Island skyline at night.




That night, we went to an old favorite of mine while I was still at CUHK, Sushi One. We were feeling a bit adventurous that night and so we ordered some swordfish gunkan maki (upper and lower left) and some whelk gunkan maki (upper right). We didn't know what whelk was until later, when much to our surprise, we found out it's a type of sea snail. They weren't terrible and we ended up eating them, but I'd probably pass on these two types of sushi in the future.




The next day we decided to walk around Tsim Sha Tsui again. So here's another picture of the HK Island skyline, but during the day this time. As I mentioned before, I've recently become a fan of the panoramic picture, and who wouldn't be with a picture/view like this.




No visit to HK would be complete without a trip up to the Peak. So we caught the tram up to behold this beautiful view of the city. As you can see, we were pretty lucky, the weather was really nice that day. A sunny day, blue skies, and being a couple thousand feet up make for one breathtaking view.




On another note. Here's a pretty picture of some bougainvillea. I stand next to this plant every morning as I wait for the minibus to go to work.




And finally, another specimen representing the various fauna found at my aunty's place. It's body was only about 2 inches long, but the antennas were about 2-3x as long. Weird...

1 comment:

  1. hey you enabled comments! i think it was not enabled before?

    ReplyDelete